Wednesday 15 August 2012

Madame Brussels - Brothel Cum Bar on Bourke Street

Although few things eclipse writing this blog and I realise that my long suffering readers began to enjoy my daily epicurean diatribes, sadly I had to take a break for a few days. It is a sad day when work gets in the way of things that you really like to do however since these ramblings are fuelled by trips to places that provide food, drink and service in and around Melbourne, sometimes I need to prioritise paying the credit card as someone at the end of the day has to win besides Gail Kelly. Besides, I have not come across many restaurants that trade fine food and beverage for the lint in your pocket so I need to keep my priorities in check. After a marathon 40 posts in a row, I thought this blog had a good foundation or "pillars" as what some bloggers call core information so hopefully during my short trip away from the laptop everyone has found a new restaurant or bar to experience based on what you have read here.

At the "Paris-end" of Bourke Street, you will find a brothel that has sense been converted into a bar. Like with the whole mad scientist theme that Croft Institute has going on, the overarching theme for Madame Brussels works. When you actually find the building at 59/61 Bourke Street, you need to navigate stairs in an old building or take the equally old lift to the top floor. Walking out on fake grass (turf) in a make-shift wicked garden of sorts with metal furniture, picket fences and a garden theme that takes me back to my childhood when I used to visit my grandmother is nostalgic however when you see the staff dressed in very skimpy and appropriate costumes that compliments the setting you realise that you can relax in this wicked garden knowing that you will not see Dr Harry or Joanna Griggs hanging around looking to do any repairs or provide any consulting. It doesn't matter if you like looking at girls or guys, usually the patrons and the staff are usually more attractive (according to my bastardised sense of beauty) compared to most other places that I have found and on Saturday afternoons, I have found most of the patrons to be women.

Walking out from the garden, you can sit on the rooftop deck and enjoy both the Melbourne cityscape and table service. The jugs of Mai Tai come at a price however are so worth it and I have been guilty of drinking away many afternoons as their quality cocktails can't be matched. The table service is hit or miss however I have noticed if you tip that the attention levels from the attractive staff are piqued. Try not to sit next to the staff kiosk outside as there is a fair amount of foot traffic around it and it will distract you from enjoying your time at this converted brothel. If you plan on spending some time on the rooftop deck on a sunny day, make sure to take sunscreen and sunglasses.

Madame Brussels, Bourke Street Melbourne

Madame Brussels
Link to review
Level 3, 59 Bourke St. Melbourne VIC 3000
(03) 9662 2775
http://www.madamebrussels.com
My Rating: 13.5/20
Service: 3/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Quality: 3.5/5
Value For Money: 3/5
Comment: Saturday afternoons in the sun are great



I still use Twitter. Follow me: @epicurean3006
I do read my e-mai: epicureanofsouthbank (at) gmail (dot) com
The hyperlink which can easily be remembered: www.epicureanofsouthbank.com

When I made this post, 89% of the reviewers on Urbanspoon also enjoyed Madame Brussels.

  Madame Brussels on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment