Thursday 30 August 2012

Naked for Satan - Worth Stripping Down For

It is a shame that Carlton will not make the finals series. I was looking forward to the mighty Magpies taking revenge on the hapless team before the Blues punted Brett Ratten. At least Brett has plenty of free time to attend a new release tasting.

The aforementioned wine tasting for Spinifex and Laughing Jack wines will be at The Prince Wine Shop in Port Melbourne this Saturday, 01 September 2012 from 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM. Further details can be found here.

One of the benefits of trying to blog around Victoria is that you get so many suggestions of places to try and things to do. I heeded one of the suggestions the other day and took the 112 tram to Brunswick Street in Fitzroy to get Naked for Satan.

Naked for Satan Fitzroy
Naked for Satan, Fitzroy
I really do not know what to expect with half of the random places that I turn up at. I do my best not to read reviews so that I am surprised and will remain objective which I think leads to a better experience and makes for potential musings on this blog more colourful.

When I walked in I thought the place was a bit "different" to say the least. A couple of counters at the bar were adorned with pintxos, which is Basque tapas, where you are left on the "honour system" to eat and pay later. I didn't know there was much honour in Fitzroy, but you learn something every day. I swaggered to the bar keeping an eye on the vodka still and ordered their single microbrew, the aptly named, Naked for Satan Ale. I enjoyed this belgian white ale in the corner whilst considering whether I had enough honour left in me to begin a journey through the pintxos on offer. There were twelve different varieties of pintxos at the bar and the kitchen was quickly replacing them as all of them seemed very popular with the punters. On occasion a member of staff would come around with a hot variety of pintxos and offer it to you cheerfully. It is always hard to say "no" where I just assumed that my gluttony could be addressed in the gym the next day. My favourite of the pinxtos was the Blueberry Cannoli.

I was also intrigued about their infused Absolute vodkas. With a second Blueberry Cannoli, I tried the "Naked B*tch Chilli and Cherry" straight up and it went down well and cleared my throat of nasty bacteria in the process. I couldn't stop with just one so I ordered a "Cherry Ripe" and vowed never again to waste my money buying the various infused vodkas off the shelf when I could simply go to this place. My dentist will be proud that I am substituting my midday brush with vodka no doubt.

As it was early afternoon, I stopped my drinking before I truly entered the clutches of Satan and retreated only to learn that they are renovating the rooftop area and will transform it into a rooftop bar and restaurant by the end of the year. Now that is something I am excited for, the aptly named Naked in the Sky.

Three elevated levels, a darker gritty feel and relaxing background music plays as you eat, drink, converse, or in my case check e-mails, read the news and watch what was happening on Twitter. I will certainly return and next time take some friends, go later in the afternoon and then really make an attempt to try all of the infused vodkas. I am sure a different sort of sordid tale will be able to be told after that especially since I am always keen to get naked for Satan, or anyone for that matter.

Naked For Satan, Fitzroy

Naked For Satan
Link to review
285 Brunswick Street  Fitzroy VIC 3065
(03) 9416 2238
www.nakedforsatan.com.au
My Rating: 13/20
Service: 1/5 (self service, counter service)
Ambiance: 3.5/5
Quality: 3.5/5
Value For Money: 5/5
Comment: Try the infused vodkas and $1 pinxtos


Twitter: @epicurean3006
e-mail: epicureanofsouthbank (at) gmail (dot) com
web: www.epicureanofsouthbank.com

At the time of this post, 90% of the reviewers on Urbanspoon also like Naked for Satan.

Naked For Satan on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment