Monday 10 September 2012

Shed 5 - The Beautiful Smell of Sewerage

What a memorable weekend it was. A mate was down from Sydney and he was looking forward to experiencing all of the usual goodness that Melbourne has to offer. The last time he was down, we ended up having an exceptional long lunch at Cumulus, which remains one of my personal favourites since I started writing this blog. As I was not originally responsible for making a restaurant booking, although good intentions were had by others, it was ultimately delegated to me on Saturday morning to sort out. I in turn got into contact with the lovely Emma at South Wharf centre management and asked if there was anything she could do to help me with my plight. She was able to secure at table for four at Shed 5.

It is rather hard to impress a Sydneysider since they are used to relaxing harbour views, so I wasn't using the view from South Wharf as a draw card, but more as an aside as the precinct is a relaxing area that deserves exploring. Shed 5 had been on my list of places to try for a month now so I was happy that I was going to be able to surround myself with friends and be able to engage upon pleasant conversation. Like in the allegory telling of the journey that Dante made through Hell, I had to abandon all hope of talking about politics, life, sport and the weather because we were so distracted by the smell.

I did not notice the smell of raw sewerage when I first entered the restaurant which is fitted out in an old shed. However as the beer, wine, starters and ultimately entrees and the desserts were presented, the smell gradually took over. We were left to talk about it for a few hours amongst ourselves.

We started with plates of duck cigars and cyprian lamb and pork meatballs. I thought the duck cigars paired with pistachio and cherries was a great way to start the feast however the meatballs seemed a bit uninspiring. As we finished up with the starters and ordered more wine, another blast of the sewerage smell wafted past us. The server first blamed it on the Yarra River. Given that I live on the Yarra River and have traversed its banks more time than I care to count, I have never smelled sewerage so I excused myself and went outside to have a good sniff but the only thing that I got a wiff of was fresh air.

When the dishes of king green prawns, roasted lamb neck and the bannockburn half chicken turned up, the intensity of the sewerage smell also increased. I thought the pairing of the prawns with feta cheese was bold and adventurous but it worked. At one point I considered mashing feta into my nostrils though as I wanted to experience any smell beside the one of waste. We were all so distracted by this noisome odour that we all ended up finding the food to be secondary and it is probably why I do not consider it that special.

Later it was suggested that we be given financial relief when the bill came. Although we ended up with complimentary desserts, the experience just wasn't enjoyable. Besides having the smell blamed on the Yarra, it was later suggested that centre management was responsible and that the infrastructure is the culprit. I believe that the staff were just tired of people talking about the stink as it was distracting from the good work from the kitchen and the prompt and professional service. It was certainly a memorable evening and not one that I will forget any time soon, sadly for all the wrong reasons though.


Shed 5
Link to review
37 Dukes Walk, South Wharf VIC 3006
(03) 9686 1122

www.shed5.com.au
My Rating: 9/20
Service: 3/5
Ambiance: 0/5
Quality: 3/5
Value For Money: 3/5
Comment: Distracted by the smell


Twitter: @epicurean3006
e-mail: epicureanofsouthbank (at) gmail (dot) com
web: www.epicureanofsouthbank.com

When I posted this review, 95% of the reviewers on Urbanspoon liked this place however the sample is constrained to 43 votes currently.

Shed 5 on Urbanspoon

12 comments:

  1. You sound like a real knob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too have noticed a smell when I have visited this restaurant. It actually does smell like raw sewage. I was chatting to someone recently about my experience and he said that this is a common problem at South Wharf. This is due to the fact that the part of the Yarra that South Wharf is built on is on top of 'dead water'. This means that it does not get much fresh water and it starts to stagnate. Further, the buildings and boardwalks are actually built over the Yarra itself. I don't know if this is the answer or not. I found the food to be interesting. The service was imposing and somewhat like Sydney. When I was there, the waiter came over six times to ask if the table was ready to order. I do like attentive waiters but sometimes, it can be excessive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Centre management has passed through and checked beneath the surface with plumbers and has not found any sewerage problems. It could be that what was explained to you on the night was true.
    I would of thought it was well out of the hands of a waiter or chef to fix such an unfortunate problem
    You say you asked for a discount and we're subsequently given free desserts and coffee. What else could possibly be done in this situation.
    Maybe your an unknown blogger just looking for a bit of publicity......
    Sounds like they were very apologetic and compromising. I personally would of got up and left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im actually a customer that was there the day before.
    I go through anonymous as I can't access any other profile.
    I work at MCEC and noticed the smell some times at other venues.
    I don't think management or the place would comment to you on here they probably couldn't care a less about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To the anonymous poster above: How did you know if free coffee was offered? I only read that free desserts were offered. So if it is true that coffee was offered as well, then by knowing this you must work for Shed 5, evincing a highly bias opinion on the blog post.

    Maybe next time admit to your personal bias by posting under the name "Shed 5" or "Employee of Shed 5".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your right just re read it sorry
    Like I said I don't work there though

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are being nothing but fair and without emotion. A descriptive and somewhat clinical (I mean that in a nice way) analysis with humour which people want to learn from to make an assessment.

    I say you are doing a great job of informing the diners of Melbourne and it’s visitors. Why not!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you get offered something free as a gesture of goodwill, it is rather unfair to then publicly slam the place. Logic suggests it is in their best interests to fix the problem and it may already be fixed. You are a bad sport, unfair, and an unprofessional blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, I did not realise that giving an honest account of an evenings events would in anyway be 'unfair'. He obviously had an issue with the aroma of the evening, for whatever reason that aroma came to be, why is it unfair to publish its existence? Even if it is due to 'stagnant water' or a possible 'leak', diners have a right to know what to expect when dining in a reputable establishment.

      Secondly censorship is never the answer...

      Delete
  9. I agree with previous 2 comments:
    1. You sound like a real knob
    2. You sound like a freeloader scab who tries to get free stuff

    ReplyDelete