Thursday 13 September 2012

Walter's Wine Bar - The Sands of Time

The rain has started pouring down so I am not going to venture far out today for lunch. In fact, I am going to take advantage of the free Subway 6" sub and drink and retreat back to the laptop and continue to do some work. You may have noticed that I created a "freebees" page on this blog. From time to time when I find a decent offer I will post it there. After I post this, I will also update the "Freebees" page to include the offer from the ACMI in Federation Square this Sunday morning to see Hotel Transylvania 3D for free at 10:30 AM. Not my thing, but no doubt there are some readers of this blog that have kids and would like the price.

I originally discovered Walter's Wine Bar in 2004 after it was recommended after the original site at Southgate burned down. Whilst I was younger and fitter, I would always include a quick stop at Walter's on a whirlwind afternoon either on Friday or Saturday to enjoy a bottle of wine and an entree just to get in the zone for all of the dining and drinking exploits planned during my periodic weekend trips. Since I have moved down to Melbourne I have been able to languish at Walter's with no set purpose or schedule for the most part and enjoy the food, wine, service and views on offer.

Walter's has a small but comfortable balcony on the top floor of the Southgate complex that overlooks the Yarra. I have spent unmeasurable hours out on it drinking and conversing whilst the professional service has attended to our needs, both great and small. Most recently, I spent five hours to the amusement of service, enjoying many bottles of both champagne and wine, but accompanied by not only the gravlax as a starter, with consisted of very tasty cured salmon and delicate quail that certainly matched well with the Pinot Noir from Central Otago that was on offer.

Ultimately we got around to ordering the spiced rack of lamb. The lamb was prepared a perfect medium rare and combined with the spices, matched extremely well with the Katnook Cabernet Sauvignon. Service was always very attentive. They seemed to hide in the shadows and appear just when you needed something which was appreciated. We reflected ultimately this would make for a good venue to enjoy New Years Eve celebrations considering its position on the river, excellent food and most importantly very detailed and huge wine list. I could see myself partying here well into the first day of 2013.


Walter's Wine Bar, Southgate, Southbank
Walter's Wine Bar
Link to review
3 Southgate Avenue  Southbank VIC 3006
(03) 9690 9211
www.walterswinebar.com.au
My Rating: 14.5/20
Service: 4/5
Ambiance: 4/5
Quality: 3.5/5
Value For Money: 3/5
Comment: Excellent wine list and balcony-river views



Twitter: @epicurean3006
e-mail: epicureanofsouthbank (at) gmail (dot) com
web: www.epicureanofsouthbank.com

When I posted this review, 86% of the reviewers on Urbanspoon also like this restaurant and wine bar.

Walter's Wine Bar on Urbanspoon

1 comment: